Wednesday, March 07, 2018

Best Inheritance


“Teach them to your children and your children’s children.” 
Deuteronomy 4:9

What is the greatest legacy we can leave our children and grandchildren? When we speak of legacy, we think inheritance, a bequest of money or property. When I think of what my mom left us, I thank her for the business she started. Our family business is a wonderful gift with many possibilities, and if we take care of it, her grandchildren will benefit from it as well. But the more valuable gift, the more precious inheritance she gave each of us is the gift of faith. She was an example of a woman of faith. My mother made sure we knew our Father, we knew Jesus, that we ran after His promises, and obeyed His laws. 

I remember her bringing us to prayer meetings, rallies, and each time we would line up to accept Jesus as Lord and Savior. We would attend Life in the Spirit Seminars, as many as it took to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. She read her Bible from cover to cover I do not know how many times. We went to Mass every single day, and after we would spend an hour in prayer before the Blessed Sacrament. 

Even when she was weak from her sickness, she would go to mass and receive communion, hanging on to my arm. Finally, she collapsed during mass, and I insisted she could not go to mass anymore because I could not possibly manage to support her. 

I was listening to Corrie Ten Boom trying to evangelize a woman who said she went to Church every Sunday. “Yes, but a mouse born in a biscuit tin will never be a biscuit.” The woman then added, “My parents are good Christians.” Corrie then replied, “God does not have grandchildren!” God has sons and daughters who have a personal relationship with Him. We cannot get to heaven clutching the dress or the shirt or our parents! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy