Sunday, February 25, 2018

Transformed

“Jesus’ appearance changed...” 
Mark 9:12



This is one of those Bible stories that is absolutely awesome and amazing, but we usually take it for granted. Jesus took 3 of His disciples up a high mountain. No one else was there but Jesus, Peter, James and John. As they watched, He was transfigured before them. His clothes became more dazzlingly white that nothing on earth could ever make it. Then if that was not astonishing enough, Elijah and Moses appeared and conversed with Jesus. The disciples were understandably terrified. A cloud came over them all, and a voice came out of the cloud: “This is my beloved Son. Listen to Him.”

If we were one of those privileged to see a glorified Jesus, and hear God’s voice, I would expect it would change us so profoundly. Maybe we would like to stay with Jesus on the mountaintop forever, never to come down to the harsh realities of our every day existence. Life can be such a hard climb, and it’s difficult to hold on to our “highs” with the Lord. Harder even to commit to praying and studying the Bible every day, to being with Jesus throughout the day. 

That’s why I have a little notebook where I write my “touchstones” with the Lord. It’s a little like the memorial stones Joshua and his men laid down in Gilgal to remember God’s amazing miracle of letting them pass over the Jordan on dry ground. At the foot of Mt. Sinai, Moses set up an altar of stones to commemorate God’s covenant with Israel. 

It’s easy for us to forget. I am trying right now to remember the Bible verse about not forgetting what the Lord has done and I cannot even find it with google. One time a forgetful sister in community said she found an herb to help her, but when I asked what it was, she forgot the name! So I write down my experiences with the Lord, where He very clearly showed His face and His saving hand. Indeed, these mountaintop experiences with God help me get through my busy schedule, the wearying effects of problems beyond our capacities, and the inevitable discouragement we sometimes feel. 



Yes Lord, Your appearance was transformed. And even now, I trust, You are changing me from “glory to glory”. Like Saint Paul, I am certain You will finish the good work You have started in me. (Philippians 1:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy