Friday, September 01, 2017

Oil in my Lamp

And the foolish said to the prudent, "Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out." Matthew 25:8



Jesus tells the story of the wise and foolish virgins waiting with their lamps for the bridegroom to come, and ends with the warning, "Keep your eyes open, for you know not the day or the hour of my coming." More and more people have their own ideas about God, and what happens after death. When I was in college I used to read many books by Krishnamurti and Carlos CastaƱeda, and other philosophers and writers who made their own world and after world view,  based on their logic and experience. When I was convinced that Jesus was God, I threw away the box of books, maybe even burned them. Why learn from people when Jesus came Himself to tell us what we need to know? 

I do not want to be one of the foolish virgins. I need to make sure that I have more than enough oil in my lamp. I need to keep my lamp burning brightly. Sometimes it sputters because, like yesterday, I was very angry at the bank people who refused to honor a check with "or" and I asked them if they understood the meaning of "or", a simple English word. 

Lord, I am sorry for those times I do not act like Your daughter. May the flame of my love for You and for others, my peace, my joy, not go out! May I keep my eyes open for the ways the enemy wants to hijack the "oil" in my lamp, my spiritual life. Lead me and I will follow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy