Friday, April 07, 2017

A Mighty Champion

"The Lord is with me, like a mighty champion..." Jeremiah 20:11


Who does not need a champion? I think we all do! My friend collapsed in the train station yesterday, and had an operation on his brain. Now he is in a coma and all of us who know him are storming heaven with our prayers, being his "champions" in some small way. Please pray for him. We know God is there with him, His mighty champion, the One who will win this battle for him. 

We need to know God as our champion so that we can become winners ourselves. The story of Esther Ahn Kim is a powerful testimony of a person who knew God as her champion and was never defeated even when she was thrown into prison for 6 years. Like the Old Testament heroes, she refused to worship at the shrines to the sun god set up by the Japanese during their occupation of Korea in WWII. She prepared for her impending incarceration by eating decaying food and memorizing the Bible and many hymns. She knew she would be tortured so she prayed so as not to be afraid. “I knew it would be impossible for me to keep my faith in my own power,” Esther wrote later. “God would have to work through me if I was to stand firm. I decided to fast.” 

In prison, she ministered to many people. Murderers, swindlers and other criminals got to know Christ through her witnessing to them and serving them with compassion. After she was freed, her story of faith became the all-time religious bestseller in Korea. 

Indeed Lord, You are always with us. Thank You for answering our prayers, for showing us we can depend on You. May You teach us also to be Your soldiers, Your ambassadors, Your champions where You need us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy